AthLights™ Frequently Asked Questions
How do these things work?
AthLights™ are super-small, battery-powered LED lights that clip to your clothing with the help of a magnet. They can be turned on and off with a simple twist and placed anywhere on your clothing or athletic gear. They are a more compact and comfortable alternative to many of the personal lighting products on the market today, especially for long-distance runners. The strobing light is visible up to 600 ft away, giving motorists the extra critical moments necessary to recognize and avoid you as they pass.
I already have a reflective vest – isn’t that good enough?
While reflective garments certainly help, AthLights™ have several advantages when it comes to being seen by motorists:
1) AthLights™ provide their own light source, so if an oncoming car, motorcycle, or even bicyclist does not have a functioning, properly-aimed headlamp, you’re still visible.
2) AthLights™ flash red and white in a strobing pattern which is especially effective in grabbing a driver’s attention in their peripheral line of sight.
3) AthLights™ can be placed just about anywhere (e.g. socks, iPod arm band, compression shorts) so they won’t keep you from dressing appropriately for the weather. Need to run shirtless on a hot, muggy pre-dawn run? Already have three shirts for an arctic fartlek and don’t want a bulky vest? No problem – AthLights™ go exactly where you need them.
What about batteries?
Each AthLights™ light comes with two 927 button-cell batteries, like one you might find in a watch. They typically last about 40 hours before they need to be replaced. You can find new batteries anywhere coin-cell or button-cell batteries are sold. Battery replacement is easy – check out the diagram to the right. Your AthLights™ LEDs will last for tens of thousands of hours.
Can I use AthLights™ in the rain?
Yes – while not submersible, AthLights™ are resistant to water spray, sweat, and rain. They will not stop blinking or rust when wet.
What if I drop my light and step on it?
They will survive. The AthLights™ LEDs are epoxy-coated and housed in nickel-plated copper, which makes them much more durable than some plastic lighting products. Feel free to go off-road.
I don’t run, bike, or skate. Why would I want to use AthLights™?
There are hundreds of great occasions for you and your family to wear AthLights™. For example:
- Taking your pet for a walk
- Children trick-or-treating on Halloween
- Kids waiting at a bus stop in the early morning
- Walking home from the office downtown at night
- Costume accessories
- A temporary marker on your mailbox for house party guests
Will AthLights™ damage my clothes?
Absolutely not! The magnet and light both have a smooth, non-corrosive nickel plating that will not tear, stretch, or stain your clothing. Use them as an alternative to safety pins when securing your bib for a race!
Are AthLights™ safe for people with Pacemakers or similar devices?
No! Please do not use AthLights™ if you have an implanted electronic medical device. The strong AthLights™ magnet may interfere with its function.
Can I let my small child use AthLights™?
AthLights™ are not a toy, and we do not recommend that children under the age of six use them. AthLights™ contain small parts and magnets which could harm a child if swallowed.